5.14.2009

Plateau

So there comes a time in every girls life when her weight loss plateaus and she is stuck. I know that this seems kind of early for a sad story about how my weight isn't moving but I am really just trying to give myself a little kick in the pants.

As you know last week I went to the gym twice and was loving it. This week, I am not so lucky. Because Violet can't go to the daycare until she is 6 weeks old, I am left to rely on Michael to babysit so I can go to the gym. Since his schedule is bananas this means that I have been to the gym exactly ZERO times this week. Ugh!

Now lets be honest, all of the weight I was losing was basically just the stuff that surrounds the baby. The extra blood, the water, the baby itself and maybe some other things like the placenta. I guess the actual "baby stuff" weighs about 15-18 pounds. If we do the math, I gained 29 then subtract 17 and we are left with the 12 I have to go. What does this mean? It means that technically I haven't lost a single pound I "ate" on. Bummer.

Here is my solution for the next 2-1/2 weeks. Eat less, Don't finish whats on my plate and only eat when I am hungry. All of these things sound simple but honestly they are easier said than done. I guess just cutting out the sweets isn't going to get me where I want to be so I am revving it up a bit.

For lunch today I had brown rice topped with steamed sugar snap peas and carrots. Sounds really bland and boring but when you add just a TINY bit of butter and fresh lemon juice and s&p to the veggies, it's actually extremely delicious. You should try it. Steam any of your favorite veggies, remembering to have as many as you want, and put it over some yummy sticky rice. You will be full and satisfied. If you need something sweet after (like I always do) then try a sweeter berry like a strawberry or have some fresh pineapple.

Heaven knows that dieting is not my best subject in weight loss school but I am realizing that the reality is I HAVE TO DO IT. Leave your dieting tips here for me and anyone else who follows this indulgent little blog. :) Thanks and good luck!

5 comments:

Salime said...

ok, I feel better about what I think I might feed you if you come tonight... I haven't been grocery shopping and I was thinking about brown rice with steam veggies (maybe low fat cottage cheese), but that's all the grown up food I have in my fridge right now :) I have a bunch of chicken nuggets for the kids hahaha, you are welcome to eat those too, but you might not want to. I am glad I saw this posting.

jenna said...

i'm struggling with the last five pounds. they WON'T go away and i dont necessarily care if they do because i'm weight lifting and that could be it, i'm just ready to feel good about my body again. i also think i'm hanging on to a lot with nursing....at least thats my excuse.
i've been doing p90X...amazing!!! why didn't i do work out videos before??!! the gym was NOT WORKING out and i wasted so much time worrying about it. get a yoga video and go to town on the days michael can't help out. trust me you'll love it.

Kayla R. said...

you are awesome Kat!!! 29 pounds is nothing i am not even going to put how much i gained with lils!
I will have to try that it really does sound yummy;)

becca olsen said...

Kat, You are awesome. I've been dying to tell you about this health challenge my family did, I think you would really love it. And we are starting again june 15th for 8 weeks. I'll post something about it on my blog tomorrow!

mylittlegems said...

Kat- why don't we trade kids so we can exercise? I'll watch your kids while you work out and you can watch mine while I work out?? I'm serious about this ;)