6.03.2008

I chickened out!

So I kind of chickened out yesterday from weighing myself. What happened was this, I didn't get to go to the gym in the morning and seeing as how I use the scale at the gym (I actually don't have one at home) I didn't end up weighing myself. I don't know if you know this but technically you weigh a little less in the morning so that is why I always wait for my morning poo and then I go and step on the scale! :) Ha! It may sound silly but it is true. Anyway, I know it's a lame excuse and I don't know what I am so scared of because honestly I did so well last week! I was even at the gym this morning at 7 a.m. but still skipped the weigh in. Tomorrow I will have to get brave and get my booty on that darned thing. I promise to let you know how it goes (because I know you are all just biting your nails) whether it's good or bad.

In the meantime, I wanted to let you all in on a little something I found out. Apparently salads aren't the only things you can order from fast food restaurants these days. Yesterday we went to a different side of the island and after our beach trip we landed our starving belly's in a Burger King. I was nervous about ordering and appalled by the ridiculous price for a chicken salad. I was about to give in and order a Whopper Jr. rather than a Whopper Sr., when I spotted the veggie burger! I ordered it sans mayo and took off a bun slice. When I came home I checked online to see how I had done, the result was a pleasant surprise. Only 340 calories, when eaten without mayo, and since I took off a bun flap it was even less! It was actually really tasty and filling and I didn't feel hungry for quite a while after. However, I wouldn't recommend this as an everyday food choice because the sodium content was a little high and the burger left me very thirsty. Well, the beach and the burger left me very thirsty but needless to say, I felt victorious in conquering my potential burger blunder.

After finding a new option for calorie control at Burger King I got online and looked at Wendy's, Taco Bell, and McDonald's options too. So here is the rundown on my fast food investigation. Taco Bell has recently come out with the "Fresco Menu" which offers 9 items under 9 grams of fat and nothing is over 350 calories! What a great way to get some veggies in too! I like the fresco ranchero chicken soft taco or the or if I'm really hungry the fresco bean burrito. Next, Wendy's, I love their chili and one small cup has 190 calories and 5 grams of fiber. It is filling and great, just don't burn your mouth or add too many saltines (one pack of two saltines has 25 calories, that could add up quickly if your not careful). Last, my least favorite but apparently America's favorite, McDonald's. The grilled chicken snack wrap in honey mustard or chipotle bbq have 260 calories and the ranch has 270. The fruit and walnut salad only has 210 calories but I always skip the nuts because they are roasted and sugared and basically have no nutritional value anyway, and this probably saves around 100 calories. Besides, I don't like walnuts that much anyhow.

So there you go, healthy (ok at least semi-healthy) options from major fast food chains that are low calorie, not the same old salad, and won't leave your stomach feeling like a bottomless pit. Need I say more?!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing all your research! I'm always torn between the "cheap & convienient" (albeit terrible) fast food options and the much more expensive/time consuming, but healthier options. While the chains have tried to educate me on their healthy options, I've never really paid attention or figured out if there was any merit to their claims. Taco Bell, here I come!

Also, beware of gym scales. A friend and I were convinced that the gym staff was resetting the scale's base weight, so we finally broke down and bought our own scale. It was amazing how different the two weights could be.

Logan said...

It's amazing what you can find out on the fast food websites. You know the "market fresh" deli sandwiches from Arby's? 800+ calories! Yeah, gross. I used to think I was being so healthy eating those! Craziness

{lindy baker cakes} said...

Thank you!!! I always go to dietfacts.com. Have you been there before? They have the nutritional values for a ton of different restaurants both fast and nonfast food.