6.06.2008

A little tangent

I was in my pantry closet and noticed that I have approximately 2 1/2 bottles of corn syrup one if which was facing me with it's nutrition label. Now you probably have two questions here. 1. Why the heck do I have so much corn syrup? 2. How bad is corn syrup? First answer, people keep moving and handing me, along with other food, bottles of corn syrup. Second answer, oh it's bad!!! It's so so bad!!! Calorie wise there are 120 in two TBS of corn syrup. But what is so bad is the ingredient list. Did you know there is high fructose corn syrup in corn syrup? Along with salt and water, these are the main ingredients. I was confused as to why they need to add high fructose corn syrup to corn syrup and so I googled. What is high fructose corn syrup? I stumbled across this article and learned a couple things.
1. High fructose corn syrup was developed in the 70's around the time they developed partially hydrogenated oils as a cheaper alternative to butter and regular sugar.
2. It starts as corn starch but then goes through 3 different chemical alteration processes before becoming HFCS.
3. Most foods are sweetened with this product rather than sugar cane or beet sugar.
4. High consumption of fructose in lab rats showed serious medical disadvantages such as infertility, and heart failure.

There are things I learned about HFCS previous that were also a little grim. If you have read the book, "You; On a Diet" by doctors Oz and Roizin then you know the harmful chemical effects of HFCS in the body. Basically, if I remember right, HFCS isn't registered in your brain as a sugar or sweet and therefore you can gorge on it with out a sugar overload warning coming from your brain. Since it is chemically altered so heavily your brain is like, "I don't see anything" while your butt is screaming, "help us we are going to burst with HFCS-ness!"

Bottom line (no pun intended), HFCS is bad, really, really bad! Which really sucks because it is everywhere! I mean everywhere, ketchup, salad dressings, crackers and apparently it is even hiding in stuff that is already evil like regular corn syrup. Basically just read your labels and watch out for it as best you can. Sometimes you can't avoid it but for butt's sake try!

6 comments:

Margaret Vance said...

That's is the ONE THING I remembered from that enrichment night you did with the other girls. and I still check the label of things for that :)

Jana said...

Thanks Kat, very informative!
Thanks to you I can no longer enjoy cheezits, cheetos, doritos because of the MSG... and now just about every other delicious thing in the world.
Just kidding, I'm glad to know, in stead of killing myself and my child slowly 1 cheeto at a time.

{lindy baker cakes} said...

yuck

Kayla R. said...

wow i had no idea. i am pretty good with looking at lables but that is crazy*

jenna said...

i am annoyed you lost three pounds when i'm pretty sure i'm gaining them. oh well i stil love you. so what kind of cottage cheese do you like? i grew up on cream 0 weber and loved it! nwo i can't find it anywhere damn it. i need something to love.

Carmen said...

Okay mommy good body, where's the update? Just because you're in the process of moving doen't give you the right to slack on the blog :)