5.19.2010

breakfast

If you're like me, you don't want to have to think hard about breakfast. I don't like a complicated meal first thing in the morning or most times of the day for that matter. Usually because I am rushing to get to the gym but also because I am not 100 % with my brain power at that time of day.

For me a successful breakfast has some fiber and some protein.

If I have a slice of whole wheat toast (for the recipe go here) with a bit of peanut butter, I call that good. If I have the same toast with delicious, fatty regular butter and a glass of milk on the side, I'm still good just not as good.

I like the idea of smoothies too. I think Lindsay mentioned this and I started to brain storm some ideas that would make it even quicker. I have a magic bullet blender but any blender would probably work. If I loaded the blender with all of the fruits/veggies I was going to put in my shake the night before and stuck it in the freezer, all I would have to do in the morning is add the liquids. I could pop it on the blender base and wha-la! Breakfast. Even if you don't do the night before bit, it's still pretty quick. Also, to get some protein in your smoothie you could add milk or yogurt or a vanilla protein mix.

*Little side note here, most of you have probably heard that it is wise to consume protein after a resistance training workout. And that it is. However, you don't need to fork out money on a fancy pants protein shake if you don't want to. Drinking one 8 ounce glass of milk can serve as the necessary amount of protein your body needs to help your muscles rebuild. Sweet. Cheap.

Other good breakfasts are eggy breakfasts. I will say this though, if you go the egg route, try and eliminate at least one of the yolks and don't have more than three eggs. In fact, two is probably sufficient. I also don't recommend eggs everyday. Way too much cholesterol. If you want a night before type of egg breakfast, try combining your eggs and veggies in a plastic bag in the fridge. Then when you wake up, you can boil the baggie in a pot of water (girls camp style) or dump into a frying pan to scramble or make into an omelet.

Do you like pancakes? How about making a healthy version, freezing individual servings into plastic baggies and then nuking them. You can toss with a touch of powdered sugar or drizzle a small amount of syrup on them right into the same bag. Then use the bag as a wrapper and no utensils are required.

Other simple breakfasts off the top of my head.
yogurt and granola
oatmeal (not the instant, sugary flavored stuff) with nuts, dried fruit or peanut butter
hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit
peanut butter and banana

I hope this helps. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I am a terrible dieter. If I give myself too many restrictions, like most of you, I will fail at whatever my dieting goals are. I really think that the idea of protein and fiber in my breakfast is easy and flexible. Wait, did I mention why you should have protein and fiber? Duh! Sorry. Fullness. That's why. It will help you get through to lunch or if not that far, to your early afternoon snack. I hope this helps Chelsi. Any other questions, let me know. xoxo

1 comment:

Chellor said...

YES! This more than helps! Some of these I knew or have tried, but many of them I have not. Now that I have my soda consumption reduced to NADA and my sugar cravings are... well all the time, but not enough for me to give in now I'm going to really focus in on eating a balanced breakfast and packing my every-3-hour meals to work.

Thanks Kat! ;)

P.S. Me and my sis' Triathlon is this Sat! We wen't to a run through clinic tonight. I was nervous before, but after tonight I'm pumped for it! I may come in last, but at least i'm going to finish my first race ever and a Tri no less! That's all.