5.25.2008

Favorite Snacks


So here are a few of the things I like to eat that I feel like are healthy "live-it" options.

I love old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast. Not only is it full of fiber, it is filling and tasty. I like to mix in any of these things: (not all together) pumpkin and cinnamon, apples and cinnamon, skim milk and a little bit of peanut butter, or a little honey and skim milk. I always use one splenda packet to sweeten it so I don't have to add any extra calories. The other good thing is that, for me at least, oatmeal keeps me regular! ;) Nothing like the morning constitutional!! (Side note, if you aren't pooping at least once a day you should probably re-calculate your fiber intake.)

Pineapple and low fat or fat free cottage cheese. I use fresh pineapple right now because it is so darn cheap and accessible over here but canned is great too. In fact, I love the sweet/salty combo with most canned fruits. One thing to watch for with the canned fruit is whether it is in its' own juice or in syrup. If you want pears, peaches, mandarin oranges, or pineapple, most of these come in their own juice which is nice. A small serving of this is a great snack because the protein in the cottage cheese keeps you full for a while.

Whole wheat pretzels and peanut butter. If you buy the all natural, salt, sugar free peanut butter it is way better for you. Just look on the jar of Skippy or Jif and you will see hydrogenated oils and added sugar. I take a small spoonful of real natural peanut butter and dash it with salt and sprinkle it with a tiny bit of splenda. Honestly, I think it tastes so much better than the unhealthy stuff anyway. The good thing about the pretzels is the fiber from the whole grain and the crunch. When I diet I really miss the crunch of crackers and chips so this is a great substitute.

Low fat chocolate soy milk. So, so good. I would never drink a cup of the vanilla by itself but the chocolate is so tasty. I like to mix my protein shake with this too. Throw it in the blender with a banana and some ice and it is like dessert!

Whole wheat tortilla and hummus. Me and the Chunky love hummus and putting it on a tortilla is so simple and quick. I have a specific brand of tortillas that I am a fan of. They are La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low Carb/Low-Fat Tortillas. They only have 5 net carbs, 80 calories, and 3 grams of fat. Plus they have 14 grams of fiber and they taste soooo good. I know! I know! They are like the best things I have ever found! I was so excited when I made this discovery. Again, the protein in the hummus prolongs fullness. Just be careful with the hummus, they add high fructose corn syrup to that too. :(

This one is simple. Gogurt. There are only 70 calories in one and if you put them in the freezer they take longer to eat and are more like a treat.

There are honestly about a hundred more things that I could list but these are just a few. If you have any good ideas please post them! It's good to share!

2 comments:

Logan said...

thanks for all the ideas! I posted about some of my favorite snacks a while ago...
http://smithspeculations.blogspot.com/2007/11/some-snack-ideas.html

Those are my suggestions to add. Wheat Thins and cottage cheese are a fave, as well as wheat bread with some honey. Mine aren't quite as healthy as yours! lol

Chellor said...

This is more of a lunch idea. I love whole wheat pita's mashed up avocado for the spread, smoked turkey and any other veggies ie lettuce, tomato, sprouts, etc. Warm up the pita on frying pan for a bit, cut in half, and fill 'er up with all your fixins! Fills you up but without the need to unbutton that top button on your pants.