5.12.2008

Roller Coaster Ride

Hi friends! Today was a wonderful day. We went to the beach as a family and I was able to boogie board, layout and watch the baby splash a ton. It was phenomenal. Now what does this have to do with anything?

I don't know about you but the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is get naked and look at myself in the mirror from every possible angle. I do this because I generally look the skinniest in the morning. It tends to set my mood for the day and usually it is better than worse. This isn't because I actually think I am skinny, it's because I believe that I look the fattest right before I go to bed. So I wake up and have a "new", "slimmer" body and I feel pretty good. Today was no exception, except it was! I think all of my hard work and goal reaching may have paid off from last week because not only was I "morning skinny", I actually did look a bit better. So needless to say, I was excited about myself and felt proud of my body.

Because of this new found self esteem I had absolutely no reservations to spend the day at the beach in my bikini. No reservations until we arrived at the beach and there were many, many, skinny, skinny girls there. I mean the ones that must be models or something. They seriously must have had a model convention at the beach today! It was ridiculous. So I spent part of my day flat on my back sulking and feeling like a whale amongst the minnows but then something changed...I remembered how I had felt this morning. I thought of all the hard work I had done trying to meet my goals and I felt better. I wasn't about to go jogging down the beach or anything but I felt better and I got off of my towel and my big, lazy, sulky butt. I turned out to have a wonderful day and I am so glad that I remembered my early morning skinny body.

Point is, when you have days of emotional roller coaster riding you can end on a good note. I started my day at the very top of the roller coaster, right after you do the slow motion click click click and just before you begin your descent. I hit many bottoms and my stomach did some loop-d-loops but in the end I was comfortable with myself and I exited today's ride with a positive feeling. I know that I will probably never wear a size 2, and I know that I will never be a 5'9" blond super model, and I know that I will never be considered a walking barbie doll. But all of that is ok, because none of that is real life and I am a very real life. I am ok because what matters the most is being healthy and that includes having a healthy self image.

So assignment today (you do realize that these assignments are totally bogus and I am just happy that someone is reading my ramblings?) is to love your body because it is yours and because life is full of ups and downs but as long as you set goals you will have more ups than downs. Keep up the good hard work ladies and don't let anyskinnybody get you down!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kat,
I just came across this blog and I LOVE IT!! It's very inspiring. Thank you for your thoughts keep them coming I really read it all and LOVE IT!! You're adorable Kat.

Mel said...

My mom has always told me that "no matter where you go there will always be someone who is skinnier or prettier or smarter than you are...but there will also be someone who is fatter, or uglier or dumber too. The latter will be the one admiring you."

Carmen said...

Okay so am definitely NOT prepared to go do anything in a bikini however, I am hoping that I lose about 5 more pounds before the summer and I am going to make a metal note of checking myself out nakey...that way even if I don't quite make it to the 5 lb. goal perhaps I can at least psyche myself into thinking I look 5 lbs. lighter.