5.09.2008

Fun Fact Friday

So last week was a freaky fact but you know I decided that I don't want to do that every week. Instead this week lets be positive. Besides, I realize that most of you don't order fettuccine alfredo when you go to an italian restaurant. It was mostly to promote awareness but I realize I can do that with good info not fatty nasty info.

Lets talk about running and it's benefits to your body. We all know that there are cardiovascular benefits to this type of exercise but for those of us with sensitive joints we also know that there are risks too. I mentioned previously that I have bad knees which leaves me unable to run for times throughout the year. What should I do then? Is running the only way to get out and enjoy the fresh air? Of course not but it is definitely the most convenient because it requires the least amount of equipment. But did you know that you can burn the same amount of calories by walking the same distance? That may sound like duh! But when I was told that I was like aha!

See, a mile is a mile. That means that whether you decide to run, walk or trot the distance is what really matters. Think of it this way, if you eat a gallon of ice cream does it matter how fast or slow you eat it? No, the calorie consumption is the same whether you inhale it like hot air or you savor it lick by lick. When we run a mile our bodies burn roughly between 100-120 calories. When we walk that mile our bodies do the same amount of work just in a slower time. So it's ok to walk. If you are an experienced runner that needs a break than walk and don't feel guilty. If you are an experienced walker that needs a challenge then step it up and run for an interval. Either way your body is benefiting from the motion. So never get discouraged when someone laps you on the track or when your too achy to run that day. Just change it up and make the distance what matters. Keep it up ladies and don't forget your renewed vows from the beginning of the week. Good luck!

5 comments:

{lindy baker cakes} said...

I've heard this before, but never believed it because of the work that's involved in running and the sweating! Thanks for helping me understand! I always feel guilty walking. It's good to get your heart rate up for your cardivascular system, but if burning calories is the goal, then running/walking is equivalent. Woo woo. Thanks Kat. I love you.

Margaret Vance said...

Wow... how interesting is that! I would have never known.

David and Jana said...

Hey Kat,
I'm Maureen's sister-in-law. I met you a couple of times in Provo before you got married. My husband is Ryan's brother, David. I found your blog on her site. I love it! It's very clever and fun. I have three boys, the youngest is 2 1/2. If you don't mind, I'll follow along when I can!
Jana Corless

Logan said...

you just saved me a lot of personal guilt trips. I am not a runner!

Mel said...

Hey! I started training for a triathlon last week and ran 2.5 miles after biking 10 miles today! I'm feeling great and the "changing things up" totally keeps me motivated!