4.30.2010

one more time with feeling

Forgive me for sounding redundant but I feel the need to once again clarify the point of this whole exercise. I know we are more than half way through here and I know I have been overly wordy (sorry, that's just in my nature) about what this whole thing is about but I have run into some speed bumps that have confused me. So I guess this is more for me than you but hey, you can post your success at the bottom of this rant for day 12 so there you go.

Anyway, it's late and I'm a touch peeved and I should probably sleep before posting but the problem is I won't sleep if I don't get it out. And since my husband is on call tonight and definitely won't be sleeping that means all of the driving to Disneyland will be left to me tomorrow. I gotta get it off my chest so I can sleep so listen up.

The point of this 21 day challenge was not to starve any of you, deprive any of you, hurt anyones feelings, push you beyond your limits or brain wash you into a diet. It was to help hold you accountable for your own eating habits. Whether they need a healthy boost with some extra veggies or a stiff shock with the zero sugar idea, it was to help. That's all. I thought that it would be nice to offer a support group and an incentive. I also thought it would be nice to coach you through and make sure that you truly challenge yourself. One of my besties who is doing this challenge originally posted her diet plan in the beginning. I called her out asking her for more and she politely declined my "invitation" to do more. She explained why her 21 day plan was right for her and why it would be an adequate challenge. I agreed with EVERYTHING she had to say and let her make her own decision. She has been successful and has even shown results on the scale and in the mirror. Good for her. For balancing the challenge with what works for her. Good for her for sticking to it and good for her for saying NO when I said MORE.

Have any of you seen the Shawshank Redemption? There is a line in that movie after Andy Dufresne escapes from prison that goes, "he crawled through a tunnel of es-ach-aye-tee and came out clean." That is applicable here in a sense. I don't want anyone to literally go crawling through poop. I do want everyone to come out of this clean. I want you to see a light at the end of a poop filled tunnel and fight hard through that dookie to make it there. You may get some in your eye, puke at the stench or have to stop and pinch your nose but keep going. Keep fighting. Keep holding yourself accountable and you will come out clean.

What is to happen when all of this is over? When the 21 days are done what will you do? Well shucks, I guess that is just up to you. Isn't that awesome?! It's your choice whether you fall back into your old ways, you find moderation and balance between a ton and none or you keep going on a hard core track. You choose.

Remember last weekend when it was Violet's birthday and I made the decision to indulge? Remember how for me that was justifiable grounds to splurge and enjoy good food in the company of people I love? You can do that too. Go ahead! I don't care! I want you to be happy. If you are miserable without your Diet Coke, please stop this silliness and drink a freakin' Diet Coke!

I was so stoked, surprised and inspired by Darise on Sunday when she passed up her Mother-in-laws homemade apple pie. Isn't that just awesome?! Then a couple days later, she ate Oreos. Oreos! She passed up the apple pie and ate the Oreos. Isn't that just hilarious?! I love it. It's perfect because it's real life. (Sorry Darise if this example makes you feel exposed but I figure you posted it in the public comments so it's fair game right? And besides, it's so rad. Just the realness of the whole thing. I mean that. We've all been there.)

Is any of this making sense? Can any of you honestly tell me that you are ready, willing and able to make it through the next few days? Can you? Do you even want to? Because I've got news, if you don't want to, no one is making you. I don't care as long as you are happy and satisfied. It's about you. Hmmm. That sentence sounds familiar. :) Please don't blame me. Please don't hate me. Please don't pass the buck and please, for the love of homemade apple pie, do what is best for you. I love you all and I want you to succeed.

26 comments:

Chellor said...

Perfect Kat! You said that perfectly! I work best when I feel like I'm being held accountable. And for me what that means may be entirely different than what it means for others. What you have been doing with this blog is perfect for me feeling like I'm accountable. Yes, I still crave sweets, but having this challenge has given me that accountability to be able to say, "nah, I'm good with my strawberries." ;) (having a possible reward at the end of this is nice too!) When I think about it though no one is 'making' me do anything and no one is really going to care if I do pop a mini cookie in my mouth or take a sip of my friends diet coke! And that's how I know I'm doing this for me and getting the greatest satisfaction. At the end of the day I don't WANT to give in. I WANT this healthier lifestyle. So thank YOU, Kat for providing a place for challenge and motivation. It's perfect for me!

Ashley Koz said...

I don't blame you at all, there are people that can restrict what they eat and not flip out like I do. This was just a good reminder to me that dieting in any form just isn't good for me and my personality. I am a lot happier not dieting, do I have a perfect supermodel body no but it doesn't matter because I am happy :)

Lindsay Gunnell said...

I love you rants, Kat! I just want you to know that I'm ready and excited to finish this thing and then some! It's been a real wake-up call for how many times I reach for sweets or something fake when I could be eating healthy. And although I know I don't need to diet now, I thought I should just start now to make little changes so that I never have to. Maybe it was a little extreme to deprive myself of ginger ale and saltines when I was sick, but you know what? I actually didn't need them. Turns out whole wheat toast and juice work just fine.

I'm not gonna lie, I really want to be strong and win the prize, but I realize the point of this is not to be extreme but to make a lasting change. I think my change can be pretty lasting. I wanted to know that I can do something hard so that in the future when one of my patients doesn't want to diet and exercise to help their diabetes I can tell them they can do it. That it isn't impossible to eat healthy and enjoy life. Will I avoid butter for life? No. But will I try to reach for the olive oil most of the time? Yes. So hooray for accountability and saying NO to the American diet.

Day 12: BIG FAT SUCCESS

Prina Family said...

What the. I dont come on here for 1 day and there are like 3 new posts. haha. Amen to the previous comments! That is exactly how i feel. I CAN and WANT to make it through the last part of this challenge! I feel so good about what ive accomplished already. Personally, for me its all or nothing. Thats just how I am. I know (and knew from the start) that if I gave in even once, I would just keep making excuses and keep eating treats. So even though I know i can eat a treat and no one on here would care when I had to say I failed that day, I dont want to for me and thats why I did this. Thank you Kat! Day 11 and 12: SUCCESS!!!

JessWilson said...

Ditto to all of the above. Awesome post and awesome challenge! Before the challenge I knew that I needed to cut back on my sweet treat intake but didn't feel like I had the self-control to do that. This challenge has made me be accountable for what I eat. It's also made me really think about why I would turn to those treats and instead fill them in with healthy substitutes. And of course I had to show my husband up for not thinking I could last a day! Ha! It's almost been two weeks. :)

Day 12: Success!

Sarah said...

Kat you are a breath of fresh air!! My no eating after ate is going swell. Sometimes I feel like I have a lot to deal with emotionally, but since my deciding to take care of my physical self I feel like I have been able to handle some tough emotional stuff much, much easier. Thanks for the much needed inspiration!

Chellor said...

Day 12: success! The neices BDay is today ad there's bound to be yummy treats, but I'm feeling great after a killer spin class so there's no tempting me! ;)

JessWilson said...

Day 13: Success! My 4-year old boy will now tell me, "Mom, you can't eat that. It has sugar." I love it and it's making him more aware of the sweets he eats too!

Prina Family said...

Day 13: Success

Chellor said...

Day 13: success! I made sure to eat a little an hour before my nieces BDay party so I wasn't even kind of tempted to partake of the cupcake cake. ;) Pops (my boy toy) has been eating far less sweets as well!

Lindsay Gunnell said...

Day 13: This is getting pretty easy now! Yesterday I did a spinning class and felt awesome. Later we went out to eat at the cheescake factory and I had the Tuna tatake salad which I think was one of the only things on their menu that I could eat. It was so good. Later I looked up the nutrition facts to make sure it was safe and it was! And healthy too! It was way too easy to pass up the cheescake too. I love that I can still eat out and be good at the same time.

JessWilson said...

Day 14: Success. This is getting much easier and is becoming a habit to pass on the sweets! I have even dropped 2 lbs. with a combo of this challenge and increasing my strength training workouts. Yay!

Prina Family said...

Day 14: success. I had a delicious sweet potato after dinner tonight while everyone else had cake. Sweets never sound as good as they did 2 weeks ago so they are easier to pass up and I am SOOO excited

jenna said...

Kat. One week of portion control.....not eating till i'm stuffed and I've lost 1.5 lbs! Can you believe it?!

Chellor said...

Day 14: success! Sweet discovery: sugar free jello with cut up real fruit added to it. Yum!

Lindsay Gunnell said...

Day 14: Big Success. I've made up my very own healthy milkshake. It's 1 c. almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1/4 c. plain yogurt. Awesome. I'm also addicted to soymilk now too. You can make some seriously good smoothies with that stuff. I feel great and I can't even wear one of my pairs of jeans now because they're too loose.

JessWilson said...

Day 15: Success!

Lilianne said...

Day 8: Monday was a good day even though I totally wanted something sweet. I ate some craisins and drank some delicious cold water. I'm so awesome, huh?

Day 9: Tuesday - well, we all know what happened there. I completely forgot for a good 15 minutes that I wasn't supposed to have sweets and I ate cheesecake. Guh!

Day 10 - 12: On Friday, I ate a piece of WW bread. I felt okay about this. But no cookies or fried foods.

Day 13 & 14: Aunt Flo came and I totally lost it. I made banana bread and I ate a half a loaf on Sunday. Shame on me - but it was SOOO good!! Crappity crap. I also ate a cookie when I was at work on Saturday. I needed energy and it was all that was there - but I take full responsibility. I chose to eat that cookie. Too bad it wasn't even a great cookie! I also did a terrible job of drinking water. I think the hormones were speaking too loudly these two days. Ugh.

Day 15: I feel good about today. Back on the wagon, baby! I ate a healthy salad for lunch and lots of fruit. I made some chicken noodle soup tonight. Hearty and healthy!

Lindsay Gunnell said...

Day 15: Feeling good and still on the bandwagon. We even tried a greek restaurant tonight since I was studying late and didn't have time to cook. I had a vegetarian sampler and loved it! How healthy and Mediterranean is THAT? I can't believe it's been 15 days since I've had dessert, or butter, or refined food of any sort. Crazy. I'm loving it.

Prina Family said...

Day 15: Success

Chellor said...

Day 15: succes!

JessWilson said...

Day 16: Success! I've started to think about what I'm going to do once this challenge is over. If I'll go back to moderate sweets, or continue with no sugary treats. This no sugar/sweets isn't bad at all and overall I feel so much better! I'm thinking I'll keep it up through the summer, and see how it goes. Thanks for the motivation I needed to change this bad habit and take control of my sugar intake. :)

Prina Family said...

Day 16: Success. One of my hardest days yet. only because we went out to eat at a malt shop and everyone got shakes and I didnt! Im so strong I cant believe it!:)

Lindsay Gunnell said...

Day 16: Success. Resisted krispy kreme donuts my group brought to school, and the chocolate cake that my friend needed when I took her out for a "quarter-life crisis" emergency dinner. Also scoured the UMC cafeteria for something appropriate to eat and ended up getting every side of vegetables offered. The lunch lady thought I was literally crazy. Who knew some of the most unhealthy food crops up in a hospital cafeteria? I'm going to have to do something about that. Geesh.

Heather B said...

Day 16? We're in the final stretch. Today's workout was not the traditional one, but it was good, very good. :) Then, when I got hungry I had half a tub of salsa with a few chips. I think this is ok. Salsa is almost equivalent to a veggie tray. Right? I gained my pound back. It better be muscle. Or bloating. Almost my least favorite time of the month. TMI? Oh well. Good night.

Chellor said...

Day 16: success! And my aunt has me coaching through trying to stop sweets now too! It's catching on everywhere! ;)