4.16.2010

twenty one REVISED

They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. There you go. Accountability challenge.

Every day for twenty one days you will fight for the good and against the bad so set your goal and post it in the comments. It can be no soda, no carbs (which I'm not a super fan of but it's your prerogative) no eating after 8 p.m., more solid servings of healthy fruits and veggies (fries don't count as a veggie), no sugar!!!! whatever it is, post it and do it. Report your daily success here and you can get one step closer to winning an item of clothing from ayayay. I know, I know, I am SOOOO not a giveaway girl. I really don't like them, especially on personal, measly blogs like my own but this is in the name of life and love and fitness and health so I'm doin' it. Incentive enough? Hope so.



So here's a rundown of the rules:

Post your personal 21 day diet challenge here by Monday and I will approve it.

Then starting Monday post a comment everyday that you succeed in your goal. This will count as an entry with a total of 21 entries possible.

If more than one of you make it to 21 then I will do a random drawing.

This whole thing is on an honor system so please be honorable and honest. If your goal is no soda and you have even a sip, that counts as a screw up. I'm serious!

Are we all clear? Is this good? Are you motivated? I can scratch this whole idea and figure out something else because frankly I wouldn't mind purchasing an ayayay item for myself. Lemme know watcha think. Oh and when you post your personal diet challenge can you leave me your email address just in case we need to discuss some things. Thanks! One last thing, you are more than welcome to tell your friends about this but it doesn't count as more entries or anything. This isn't a giveaway to get more readers it's a giveaway to challenge my current readers and friends.

One final word here, be ambitious.

And the revision begins here. So I know that technically I'm not requiring a whole lot of you but I thought that everyone would require more of themselves than this. I feel like no one is doing something that is really pushing their boundaries. I know I sound like a total turd but I want MORE! I really do. I don't think that not eating sweets after a certain time or only eating them once a day or only having one soda a day or eating an apple a day are good enough. You have an opportunity to collectively, as a group, support each other through a change. A heavy change. I can't remember exactly how much Weight Watchers costs but I'm pretty sure it's not free.

Maybe the problem is that I haven't committed to anything? Or that we have different goals? Maybe one person wants to be healthy and another wants to be skinny? I think that if you identify what it is that you want, then maybe you will be able to set a more specific, less wussy goal. I don't want anyone to starve and I don't want anyone to gain a complex but I do want everyone to confront themselves. To weed out the bad and add in the good. A CHANGE, not an edit or an alteration. CHANGE!

Here is me, mine, what I will do. I have lost quite a bit of weight lately and it's wonderful but my belly, she still ain't tight enough. They say that abs are made in the kitchen and I really believe that. As much as I believe in "calories in, calories out" for weight loss, I think if you want to cut your belly muscles you have to weed out alot of junk. I am vowing to cut out simple carbs. That means no more mac n cheese, no more french fries, no more Chick-fil-a chicken sandwiches and no more Reeses puffs for breakfast. Even though I am still able to keep my calories in check while consuming these foods, I am positive that they are what's keeping my kangaroo pouch full. So there. I'm doing it too and I don't even win anything in the end.

Give me more! Challenge yourself. If you are truly scared to fully give up something for 21 measly days, then you may want to reconsider your whole world. Food isn't everything. It's good but we CAN go without certain foods for 21 days. I would rather have you set your goals too high and fail a couple of the days then choose something TOTALLY DOABLE and totally weenie. Do I hope you will make it all 21 days and then continue? Sure. Of course. Absolutely! Am I going to monitor everyone to make sure it keeps going? No. Of course not. Are you crazy?

Now gear up and go get em. You can do anything for 21 days! Anything! Yes I can! Yes I can! Say it over and over.

23 comments:

Ashley Koz said...

OK I can only eat sweets after one meal a day (not 2) I always crave something sweet after lunch and dinner and I usually indulge. But despite working out regularly and eating healthy meals most of the time I've noticed i am not as svelt as I would like and I know its from the sugar. Like yesterday after lunch I had a Kashi go lean bar with a small glass of skim milk and then ya know some ice cream (Breyers natural, it doesn't have all the hydrogenated oils and other crap ingredients in it like most ice cream) noon the less it does have calories, and then I had the exact same thing after dinner. I figured I consumed about 800 calories yesterday just in sweets, a little ridiculous. So this will be good for me and keep me accountable if I know I'm going to come on here everyday and report back. Great idea Kat, I start today!

Anonymous said...

I jumped onto Ashley's blog earlier today and was posting a comment and then saw yours and read it (I'm not stalking, I promise). Anyway, I love the advice you were giving her about sweets. I have the exact same problem that I'm trying to break out of. Although, I have so many other things I need to get over too in terms of being healthy. Okay, so here's my 21 day goal: No sweets after ANY meal especially when i'm having a bad day and feel like it's deserved. PLUS, no eating after 8pm especially on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights (those are the hardest days for me as i'm sure it's that way with most people). Hope those will work. You can email me @ dariseh@gmail.com
p.s. I'm so excited for this challenge! I've got a half marathon I'm running in June and am trying to get 10lbs off. Hope this will get my butt into gear...and smaller! :)

Kristi said...

Ok sinse I have already knocked the sugar....we both know I need to quit with the soda even if it is diet. The two a day I am having is not helping me get to my goal any quicker. And the other if I am allowed to have two, or you pick the one you think I need the most, would be cuttting my portions in half. Even though I am eating healthy, I know to much is to much no matter what it is. By the way Im sooo excited about this. You know I have to be motivated and held accountable to acomplish something!!!

Ashley Koz said...

OK Kat, I did it today I didn't have any sweets at all, it was a little tough but not terrible. I had a half a sweet potato with my dinner so that may have helped curb my sweet tooth. I agree with you that I am in a trap of always needing a sweet after a meal and I need to break it somehow. But I have a major fear of going cold turkey for 21 days. I'm afraid if I do that I will feel really deprived at some point and binge on sweets. I used to be majorly addicted to dieting and I was on this awful cycle of eating perfectly clean for a while and I would get super lean then I would feel so deprived that I would binge on junk food for a day or 2 or 3, gain weight, feel awful about it and put myself right back on clean eating again till I felt deprived again, then the vicious cycle repeats itself. I was all or nothing. I suppose this is a little different because it just has to do with sweets and nothing else. But do you see how I am afraid of going cold turkey and possibly ending back in that dieting/bingeing trap? It took me a long time to break that cycle and feel like I finally have a healthy relationship with food again and I just don't want to go back to that place but at the same time I want to eat less sugar and not feel like I'm addicted to sweets. I don't want to try and debate you I'm just being honest about my fears. What do you think? if you want you can email me ashleymkozlowski@hotmail.com or just leave a comment on my blog either way :)

Sarah said...

haha I'll play along. I feel like my stomach is attacking my back around 8 oclock and need some nourishment. So I will start LINT today. No eating after 8!! wish me luck!
sarah.earles@yahoo.com

Heather B said...

Well, I have lots of different goals that need to become habits, I can't decide if I want to do "workout 21 days in a row" except Sundays (would that count?) or no cookies/ice cream/treats after 8 p.m. That's when I get my sugar cravings. You tell me which one I should do because I can't decide.

{lindy baker cakes} said...

Okay...I'm already on a very strict diet for Blake (no wheat, dairy, rice, or soy). However, I have somehow managed to eat a bunch a crap! No more french fries for me. No more sugary drinks. Candy...I don't know how to cut them all? Maybe under 100 calories of candy per day? Keep in mind that I'm not eating ANYTHING ELSE! Also, I want to start running. So my goal is to jog 3 times per week and also do pilates 2-3 times per week. I have been taking at a pilates studio and LOVE IT!!! My ultimate goal this summer is to lose 15 lbs. I can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eevi said...

I am all about sugar. So my challenge is no sugar for 21 days. I know of runners who are really strict w no sugar as in "no sugary yogurts etc". What do you think? How extensive should the no sugar rule be? Obviously I won't give up sugar for good, but I have heard that once you give up sugar for awhile, you won't care it as much anymore.

Thanks Kat:) and you already got my email if you want to let me know about the challenge.

heather p said...

I'm totally in. I did the no sugar thing and feel pretty good on that one. Kat, just come up with something to kick my trash and get me ready for my first half marathon. Push my limits!

heather p said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heather p said...

heatherp@acaydia.com: think of something good and let me know.
Thanks Kat!

Prina Family said...

No Sugar. I eat SOOO much sugar. How about i can eat sugar in food but no treats, candy, baked goods, etc?
I am so nervous, this will be extremely hard. I live for food and especially sweets. Thanks for making me do this though. Ive been needing to do this for a while! Let me know if you think i need to do anything different! sierrastobbe10@hotmail.com

Ashley Koz said...

So I'm stepping up to the plate. No sweet treats AT ALL for 21 days. I'm actually really excited about it!!

Lindsay Gunnell said...

I'm excited about your challenge. Thanks! I thought hard about what would be a true challenge for me. Boyd and I already eat a pretty healthy diet--but I have decided to follow a strict Mediterranean-type diet that is currently being encouraged as the healthiest diet in the world. The one I'm going to follow is from Dr. Weil: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02995/Dr-Weil-Anti-Inflammatory-Food-Pyramid.html. So what this means is:

1. All grains are whole. Nothing refined.
2. 7-9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day
3. Protiens I'll be eating will be limited to fish, beans/legumes, whole soy, lean chicken, low fat dairy, and a small amount of cheese
4. The only sugar allowed will be <1 Tbsp. per day of honey and 1 serving of dark chocolate per week.
5. No butter, or other saturated fats except omega-3 fortified eggs. All other fats will be monounsaturated (olive oils and nuts)

Let me know if you think this is challenging enough! I figured since I already don't drink soda, don't have night cravings, and otherwise do pretty well, really the few things I need to fix are cutting out refined grains and simple sugars completely. So I'll be making my own salad dressings etc...you have my email if you need it.

JessWilson said...

My sister (Chelsi) told me about your 21 day challenge so thought I'd take a look. As I was reading my husband asked me what I was looking at so I explained the program and mentioned one of the examples was cutting out sugar. He laughed and said I couldn't cut out sugar for a day, let alone 21 days. Game On!! I'm committing to going without sugar for 21 days - hopefully it really will become a habit because I definitely have a big sugar tooth! I've already cut down my baking (and I love to bake) because of it, thinking that it's just something that I need to find a balance with. But with the amount of exercise I do a week I should be much leaner than I am, and know the culprit is the sweets. So here goes nothing and Yes I can!!! :)

Logan said...

I want to implement the same things I did the summer before I got married (and lost like 10 pounds doing)! I really do want to push myself as well, so I'm making more than one goal:

1. Exercise 6 days a week (some combination of cardio, resistance training, and yoga/pilates each workout session)

2. No candy, baked goods, or desserts of ANY kind, at ANY time or place.

3. NO fried food of any kind either (french fries, breaded chicken, chips, Mexican food, etc)

I'm pretty good about eating whole grains, fruits and veggies, and I've already made it a habit to not drink soda or eat late at night, but these are my weak spots. I don't even really care to win the clothing, I have more personal incentives to keep these goals, I just need something like this to keep me accountable. So thanks Kat!

loganbigler@gmail.com

Annie said...

Kat Kat Kat....
The amazing motivator! And great accountability buddy. Here it is...no eating after 7:30pm....no candy....and running 3 times a week. annekshirley@gmail.com. Thanks for letting me in on this great challenge!

becca olsen said...

Kat,
Thanks for doing this! I'm going to do 3 things

1) NO SWEETS!! It's pathetic but I don't know if I can do this... which made me realize I need to do it even more..
2) work out 6 times a week for at least 30 min.
3) 5 fruits or veggies!

Wish me luck!
beccaandmike@gmail.com

Chellor said...

Since you posted this I have really been trying to decide what would be the hardest yet most rewarding habits to break and I know I have it!

The first habit I want slash need to break is diet coke (any soda.) How did I even come to love the stuff?! This is going to be a tough one because I really just love the taste of diet coke! Almost as much as I love chocolate which leads me to habit to break #2...

My sis, Jessica Wilson, posted earlier today and it's sometimes crazy how much alike we are and our men are! Tonight while toying with the idea of stopping eating sweets *gasp!* I asked the boy toy if he thought I could stop. Without hesitation he said, "Nope!" I thought, as my older/wiser sister put it, "Game On!"

No diet coke or soda and no sweets of any kind. Oh boy I'm excited!

~Chelsi

Lilianne said...

I'm in and I've been thinking about what I can cut out and I've decided on a few things:

1. No fried foods at all
2. No bread
3. No refined sugar like candy, cookies, etc. (except when I have low blood sugar!)
4. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
5. Lots of water!

This is what I should be doing as a diabetic anyway, so I need to do it! I also generally want to eat only things that I can pronounce everything in them, so no more cereal and crackers. I CAN DO THIS!! Woo Hoo!

jenna said...

I'm starting SMALL. like super duper itty bitty small. i can't wake up one day and have a list of all the things i shouldn't eat, mostly because it would be a mile long and i would last a day and then binge worse then the day before.

so for this challenge:
1. NO eating after 7. not one morsel.
2. Water, Water, Water. I don't drink the recommended amount. But I will now!
That's it. I'm EXCITED!

Lilianne said...

Okay - checking in.

Yesterday was awesome. No bread, no fried foods and no sweets! Plus, I drank lots of water! Yipee!!

Today, I had a piece of whole wheat toast with my eggs because I still need to go grocery shopping and get more fruit to eat for b-fast. So, that was my only slip up today. I'm making progress - and I'm not snacking at all.

I feel good about myself AND my blood sugars have been so much better since I haven't been "grazing" in the candy jar or just eating a piece of bread because I was bored. Nice!

Kristi said...

Checking in late...
Ok so Kat you know how I did on my first day:( I was like a crack addict coming down, NO SUGAR for me!
So my second day was awesome, I did not have one soda, not one, and I had good portions, plus I am pms'ing and I could probably eat a horse. So we will see how today goes, fingers crossed!