3.23.2010

pregfit instead of just pregnant

Since I have alot of friends who are either pregnant, trying to get pregnant or have been pregnant, I figure a working out while pregnant post might be of some use to all.

My pregnancy with Jack was healthy, normal and fairly easy. I never puked, only felt nauseated during the first trimester and was able to work on my feet as a waitress the whole 9 months. I gained 39 pounds.

My pregnancy with Violet was equally as good. However, I continued exercising at my pre-pregnancy fitness level and only gained 29 pounds.

When I get questions about what is a healthy and safe amount of exercise during pregnancy I usually tell people to continue their current exercise routine until comfort necessitates modification. Basically that means if you lift weights, you can keep lifting them. The modification will come when you don't feel comfortable lying on your back and you will have to do chest presses, crunches and other exercises on an incline. If you take aerobic classes or do other aerobic activities, you can keep doing that same workout for the same duration of time. The modification will happen when your bladder forces you to stop jumping and you have to minimize the movements to a lower impact option.

Here are a few tips:
During cardio exercise you should be reaching 40-60 percent of your maximum heart rate. Basically, you should be able to speak while working out.

If it feels uncomfortable, it's probably not right. Again, listen to your body.

Any good fitness instructor should be able to provide you with specific pregnancy modifications. Feel free to ask for options before or after class. During class listen for the words, level one, low option, or low impact. Those are for you.

Tests have shown that exercise during pregnancy can reduce or even eliminate symptoms of morning sickness. I know I never threw up but the naseau was awful too. I felt less naseau on the days I worked out. Swear.

It sounds simple, it sounds easy but you would not believe how many people freak out about exercise during pregnancy. It's ok to keep it up and keep it moving. Going back to the post below, as long as you listen to your body, you will be fine. If you have questions about what you can and can't do, talk to your doctor. You may be surprised to find that doctors really support/encourage good, sweaty exercise through out the entire 9 months. Whatever you do, don't stop. I promise you that your body will have an easier time during delivery and an easier time losing the post pregnancy weight. For me the best part of teaching classes all the way to the end of my second pregnancy was the tiny sneakers Violet was born wearing. Just kidding but wouldn't it have been funny? No really, it was gaining 10 pounds less than I had with Jack. Worth every ounce.



***Every pregnancy is different. If you have had or are having a pregnancy with complications, this post probably will not apply to you. I am speaking to the average woman, with the average pregnancy. If you think you may have a pregnancy with specific guidelines, talk to your OBGYN before embarking on any exercise program.

No comments: